If you follow my Instagram page, @NewAveRealty, then you will know that I always share my experience of my Dallas “happenings”. I love to get out and explore Dallas in my free time. This is usually on Sundays. I work Monday – Saturday and all I ask for is some time to myself on Sundays. That basically means to catch up with girlfriends and brunch. I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorites places. If you have a place that you’d like to mention, place it in the comments and I will hit it up.
*BONUS: There is a new Instagram page called @YouPeopleReviews, that highlight a lot of places to eat around the metroplex. I’ve gotten some places from them as well.
I’m a Louisiana girl so I love me some Cajun food. I am not big on Creole (there is a difference) but I love me some Cajun food. Here is my list of my top favorite cajun food spots.
- Cajun Tailgators (Plano)
- Bayou Market (Lewisville)
- Good Times Cajun Cuisine (Lewisville)
- NOLA Grill (Frisco) – Had this last night and I must say the food was amazing. The collard greens tasted just like my Mama Elsie’s.
If they don’t have anyone from Louisiana as the owner or cook, I don’t believe it to be Louisiana cooking. There is no debate about that.
Soul Food/Chicken Spots
Now for some good down home cooking, you have to head south of the metroplex. My favorite spots to get food just how I like it is in Oak Cliff. Seriously, I will wait in line for these places.
- South Dallas Cafe (Oak Cliff – Red Bird Area)
- Rudy’s Chicken (Oak Cliff – Bring cash…be prepared to wait, no seriously. If time is not on your side, you may not be eating Rudy’s THAT day. It has happened to me before.)
- Floyd’s Catfish (Oak Cliff) – Now I am not sure if this place is still open. If it is, you’re in luck. If not, I am so sorry that you missed out.
- Chicago’s Chicken Coop (Carrollton) – So this one isn’t in the southern part of the metroplex. It opened up last year and I went like everyday the first week. I have to admit that it was mainly for the butter cookies.
- Pluckers (Various Locations) – This should really have a category of its own but since I included chicken in this category I thought to place it here. There is no other wing spot that can beat Pluckers to me.
- Wing Daddy (Little Elm) – this little gem in Little Elm has some fun margaritas and fried pickles are to die for.
By any means, I am not a party animal. I do like to get out and enjoy myself every now and then
- Beauty Bar (Dallas – Knox/Henderson)
- Happiest Hour (Dallas – Hardwood/Victory Park) I have found a way to make my way here so often (Brisket Nachos…though)
- Decks in the Park (Klyde Warren Park) – This is my favorite summer time event in Dallas. It’s a perfect unwind in the park at night and just vibe along the music.
This category is my all-time favorite. This is what I love to do and I will try new places often. So please send me some awesome brunch spots.
- Smoke – Plano and Bishop Arts (BBQ for brunch, need I say more)
- Black Walnut Cafe (Various Locations)
- Julia Pearl (Plano) – I went here for brunch last weekend. I want to go back for dinner soon to give it another chance but it wasn’t bad at all.
- Public School 214 – It is all about concept to me (sometimes) and this one steals the show. It has a grade school concept with menus being on composition books and drink menus on scantrons. It is the cutest thing to me.
Those are just a few of my favorite places to go. They aren’t in any order. Try them out and let me know what you think. If you ever need a recommendation on a place, contact me or just follow my Instagram. I am sure I will post it there.